Cub Cadet Releases First Semi-Autonomous Mowers
We try to stay on the lookout for new technology—particularly anything that saves time and money. When Cub Cadet announced a line of semi-autonomous mowers, we perked up. The Pro Series Pro Z 960 S and 972 S SurePath Zero Turn Mowers use GPS technology and an exclusive four-wheel steering system to deliver the most efficient cut possible. According to Cub Cadet, SurePath mowers decrease cutting time by automating and optimizing your cutting path.
What’s the Big Deal?
GPS technology lets Cub Cadet SurePath mowers cut in near-perfect straight lines followed by automatic zero turns at the end of each pass. You simply set the first cut line, and the SurePath mower automatically takes over and steers itself. The result is a dramatically reduced striping overlap that translates into serious time (and thus money) savings.
Cub Cadet reasons that SurePath can help commercial landscapers mow properties in less time while still ensuring a professional cut. When using a Cub Cadet zero-turn mower equipped with SurePath technology, you should average 7.5-inches or so of additional coverage per cutting stripe.
According to Cub Cadet, SurePath came about as a potential solution to alleviate the problem landscaping companies have of optimizing their workforce. Between labor shortages and a general lack of skilled professionals, technology can at least partially fill the gap.
Since these zero-turn lawnmowers essentially operate semi-autonomously, the Auto Steer technology means that even less experienced operators should deliver excellent cut quality. Getting consistency from a new operator means a great ability to expand and take on more jobs—or get those existing jobs done more quickly. Cub Cadet anticipates its SurePath Zero-Turn Mowers can lower the learning curve.
The Pro Series Z 960 S and 972 S SurePath mowers both include 16cc transmissions, 26-inch rear tires, and high-performance FX1000v Kawasaki engines.
What Cub Cadet Says About SurePath Technology
SurePath Auto Steer technology is the ultimate efficiency tool. Our field research shows it significantly reduces overlap and increases productivity by more than 0.5 acres per hour compared to traditional lap-bar steering controls. Landscapers can look forward to time savings to shorten their day, cover more ground or take on other tasks.
Josh Sooy, Director, Professional Business Segment, Cub Cadet
- Triple-plated fabricated deck
- Air-ride seat
Pricing & Availability
You want one, right? Cub Cadet SurePath Pro Z 960 S and 972 S Mowers should begin shipping in late Summer of 2022. Both models include a 3-year, no-hour-limit warranty or a 5-year/1,750-hour limited deck warranty. The 60″ deck model retails for $23,999, while the 72″ model retails for $24,999.
Cub Cadet SurePath Zero Turn Mower Specs
- Model: Cub Cadet Pro Series 960 S; 972 S SurePath
- Engine: Kawasaki FX Series
- Engine Displacement: 999cc
- Horsepower: 35HP
- Fuel Tank Capacity: Dual 7.45 gal.
- Cylinders: Twin
- Engine Start: Ignition Key
- Engine Oil Capacity: 2.0 qt.
- Lubrication: Fully pressurized
- Charging System: 15-amp regulated
- Fuel Delivery: Carburetor
- Transmission: Parker HTG 16cc pump/310cc wheel motor
- Forawrd Speed: 14 mph
- Reverse Speed: 6 mph
- Cutting Deck: 60 in.; 72 in.
- Deck Material: Fabricated 7ga. steel shell
- Deck Engagement: Warner PTO clutch (220 ft-lb) with Soft Start
- Spindle Construction: 8 in. sealed cast aluminum housing
- Blades: 3 high-lift Marbain blades/18,500 fpm
- Cutting Height Range: 1 in. to 5 in. in 1/4 in. increments
- Anti-Scalping: 2 front deck gauge wheels
- Deck Positions: Foot pedal with spring assist 16 positions
- Warranty: 3-year/no hour limit commercial warranty
- Deck Shell Warranty: 5 year/1,750 hour limited deck construction warranty
- Price: $23,999; $24,999