John Deere has been making lawn tractors since 1963, and their popular zero turn mowers have been a popular choice of both commercial and residential users for some time. This week we looked at one of their M Series models. The John Deere Z960M zero turn mower offers a hydrostatic drive featuring two 13cc hydraulic pumps and commercial-grade wheel motors. One pump and one motor drive each wheel on the ZTrak B and M Series mowers. This gives you improved cooling under high load conditions, easy hydraulic oil refill and level checking, and you have open access under the seat for easier access to critical components.
The John Deere Z960M zero turn mower is powered by an air-cooled 31 HP (23.1kW) engine. The motor features an overhead valve design, full pressure lubrication with full-flow filter, a vertical shaft, and an easy to access dual element air filter with quick release latch. There’s also an 15-amp alternator and fuel pump.
The Z960M zero turn has a mulch on demand mower deck option. The John Deere 7-iron mulch on demand mower deck can be converted from a wide-open side discharge mode to a fully chambered mulching mode with a flip of a lever. It’s also designed with a field-installed propane conversion kits with EPA and CARB certification. Advantages include reduced fuel costs, reduced fuel-system maintenance, and lower emissions.
It also features John Deere’s Michelin X Tweel Turf technology which eliminates downtime while mowing performance is improved. Three factory-installed seating options are available for the John Deere Z960M. The deluxe comfort seat is standard on all Z900 Series models, but a vibration-reducing isolation seat is also available on all M and R series models. For those wanting the “Cadillac” option, a full suspension seat is available with an adjustable back angle and lumbar support.
Moving to the business end of this zero turn, the mower spindles are cold-forged and heat-treated, and are supported by precision ball bearing to provide long-term performance and reliability.
John Deere Z960M Zero Turn Mower Key Features
- Durable hydrostatic drive train that delivers better cooling and provides easy access
- Field-installed propane conversion kits
- Michelin X Tweel Turf rear tire solution for ZTrak Mowers eliminates downtime and reduces the cost of operation
- Three seat choices that offer exceptional operator comfort
- Spindle assembly provides greater performance and reliability
- Three-year bumper-to-bumper warranty
- Powerful 31-hp (23.1-kW) commercial grade engine delivers class-leading performance and efficiency
- Durable 7-iron PRO decks pressed from a single piece of steel
- Available Mulch On Demand deck
- Horsepower (gross at 3600 rpm): 31 hp
- Displacement: 61 cu in./999 cc
- Cylinders: Two
- Crankcase capacity: With filter 2 U.S. qt ; 1.9
- Oil filter: Full flow, replaceable
- Lubrication: Full pressure
- Cooling: Air
- Air cleaner: Heavy-duty canister type with safety element
- Fuel type: Gasoline
- Fuel consumption (normal use): 1.1-1.9 gal./hr
- Fuel tank capacity: 11.5 gal.
- Fuel tank switch/shut-off valve
- Hydraulic pumps: Tuff Torq heavy-duty integrated piston pump
- Wheel motors: Tuff Torq heavy-duty integrated piston wheel motor
- Travel speed Forward: 0-10 mph
- Travel speed Reverse: 0-4.5 mph
- Speed and direction control: Twin levers
- Hydraulic capacity: 5.9 U.S. qt
- Filter: Internal, replaceable
- Length: 84 in.
- Width: With chute down 74, 86 in.
- Height: 47 in. (73 in. w/ROPS up)
- Weight: 1252 to 1340 lb
- Warranty: 3-year
- MSRP: $11,649
It comes standard with 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty. To learn more about the John Deere Z960M zero turn mower visit their webpage .