Makita Ridgeline 18″ Chainsaw EA5600FREG
The Makita Ridgeline 18″ chainsaw pulls together a build that’s designed to compete near the top end of the Farm and Ranch chainsaw class. But does that include names like Husqvarna and Stihl or is it at more of a Prosumer level? Let’s take a look at where it fits.
- Model: Makita EA5600FREG
- 18″ bar
- 55.6 cc 2-stroke stratified air scavenging engine
- 4.1 horsepower
- Farm and Ranch class
One of the highlights for this Makita chainsaw is its Easy Start system. A spring assist works with what Makita calls “optimized engine management” to make starting easier. Since starting is a common complaint, this is a feature with serious benefits. Here’s a look at what else you can expect on this Pro-level saw:
Additional Makita Ridgeline 18″ Chainsaw Features
- Heavy-duty cartridge air filter system for extended air filter life and improved durability
- Bar nuts are retained for easy maintenance and convenience
- Compact comfortable design with less weight (12.8 lbs)
- Touch & Stop single lever control shuts off engine with just a touch
- Slide-out baffle can be configured for efficient cold weather operation
- Two-point durable inertia/mechanical chain brake
- Chain compartment is easy to clean and clears chips away efficiently
- Lateral chain tensioning for easy adjustment
- Advanced vibration dampening system engineered to reduce vibration
The Makita Ridgeline 18″ Chainsaw uses a 55.6 cc 2-stroke engine that puts out 4.1 horsepower. It has a stratified air scavenging system that claims to help on the cutting performance side while improving fuel efficiency.
If you’re not familiar with scavenging, that’s the process of forcing the exhaust out so that the new air coming in isn’t mixing with the combusted remains. It’s an essential part of any 2-stroke engine. A stratified scavenging system creates a layer of fuel-free air between the used charge and the incoming fuel/air charge. It’s a feature you find in models from Stihl as well.
At $439, Makita comes in about $20 less from the comparable models from Husqvarna (455 Rancher) and Stihl (MS 291) and a bit higher than Echo’s more consumer-friendly Timber Wolf ($400). That’s a positive move for Makita, but their availability in local dealerships and service centers is still an obstacle. Fortunately, you can still make the purchase online.
Makita matches up well against Husqvarna and Stihl with a build that tells us it’s designed to compete at the professional level for serious users in the Farm and Ranch class.
Makita Ridgeline 18″ Chainsaw Specifications
- Model: Makita EA5600FREG
- Power Plant: 2-stroke, 55.6 cc (3.4 cu. in.)
- Max Engine Speed: 13,800 RPM
- Power: 4.1 horsepower
- Fuel Capacity: 19.3 oz.
- Fuel/Oil Mix: 50:1
- Bar Oil Capacity: 10.8 oz.
- Bar Length: 18″
- Chain: 3/8″ pitch, 0.050″ gauge
- Weight Without Bar and Chain: 12.8 pounds
- Price: $439 (Amazon)
- Warranty: 1 year